Evgeni Malkin scored his first goal of the IIHF World Championship on Tuesday, the final day of preliminary play in the tournament.
Malkin's goal was Russia's sixth in a 7-4 win over Sweden. It was his only shot on goal in the game:
Malkin also recorded the primary assist on Alex Ovechkin's second-period goal with this between-the-legs feed:
Malkin was a plus-2 in 16:13.
Patric Hornqvist was scoreless in the loss, recording one shot on goal and a minus-1 rating in 13:00.
Marcus Petterson recorded the primary assist on Gabe Landeskog's opening goal. It was his first point in the tournament:
Pettersson recorded two shots on goal and an even plus/minus in 12:38.
• Matt Murray led Canada to a 28-save shutout in a 3-0 win over the United States. It was his first shutout of the tournament.
Jared McCann scored Canada's third goal of the game:
It was McCann's second goal of the tournament and second in as many games. He recorded two shots and a plus-2 rating in 10:45.
• Dominik Simon extended his goal-scoring streak to four games in the Czech Republic's 5-4 win over Switzerland.
Czech Republic get a lead of their own! 2:1 from Dominik Simon. pic.twitter.com/CmIVGQdfrd
— Aivis Kalniņš🇱🇻 (@A_Kalnins) May 21, 2019
Simon also recorded the secondary assist on a second-period goal by Michael Frolik, and the lone assist on a second-period goal by Dominik Kubalik. He led the Czechs with four shots on goal in 15:05.
Simon wraps up preliminary play with four goals and seven assists in seven games. He's the seventh-leading scorer in the entire tournament and has the highest point total among Penguins in the tournament.
• Latvia defeated Norway, 4-1. Teddy Blueger recorded three shots in 22:48 in the win, as well as a secondary assist on Latvia's first goal of the game, scored by Miks Indrasis:
Around the rest of the tournament:
• Slovakia defeated Denmark, 2-1. Slovakian fans paid tribute to the late Pavol Demitra at the 38 minute mark of the game, as Demitra used to wear No, 38:
— IIHF (@IIHFHockey) May 21, 2019
• Germany defeated Finland, 4-1, despite being outshot 41-21 in the game. Avalanche goaltender Philipp Grubauer kept Germany in the game.
The quarterfinals will begin on Thursday. Evgeni Malkin and Russia will play the United States. Dominik Simon and the Czech Republic will play Germany. Matt Murray, Jared McCann, and Canada will play Switzerland. Patric Hornqvist, Marcus Pettersson and Sweden will play their biggest rival, Finland.
MORE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP UPDATES
Day 1: Hornqvist scores; Malkin and Simon record assists
Day 2: Blueger gets two points in Latvia win
Day 3: Hornqvist nets two; McCann makes magic
Day 4: Hornqvist extends goal streak, ties Kakko for tournament lead
Day 5: Blueger dominates Worlds faceoff circle
Day 6: Malkin scoreless in 10-0 Russia win
Day 7: Simon scores goal, two assists
Day 8: Simon extends goal streak
Day 9: Murray earns win over Germany
Day 10: Simon scores third goal in as many games
Day 11: Jared McCann scores his first Worlds goal
To continue reading, log into your account: