So I decided to take a couple days off this week, tired of always feeling tired, wary of some other symptomatic stuff.
The doctor told me Thursday I have Type 2 Diabetes.
Like most people who hear any kind of diagnosis, you don't hear many words after that. You feel ... I don't know ... attacked? You feel branded. You feel like you just changed into something you weren't before. And yeah, you begin worrying about things that are so, so, so much more important than even this website, which has been the defining project of my life. I stood up, walked over to a corner of the doctor's office, and really didn't process much.
One thing I did process from the doctor was to not blame myself, that this is hereditary. But I did blame myself. Because back in February, in between trips to Bradenton and Winnipeg, I visited this same doctor and then a specialist who both warned me of the possibility I had this condition. And I decided I was just too busy with the site to do anything about it.
Oh, for real.
I mean, there's dumb, and then there's idiotic. I'll never write a column more critical about anyone than this one right here.
And yet, upon further review, and upon hearing from others on our staff with background on this, I know it's manageable. Eminently so, as I'm not at the stage where insulin is required. This requires medication, a change in diet, additional exercise and a lot less stress.
As the doctor said, "If you can pull off a venture like the one you've got, you've certainly got the personality for a challenge like this."
I'll apply that same mindset to this issue. I will.
Finally, I want you to know that, although I'll try to minimize the 24/7 stress, nothing will change about my contribution level at the site. If anything, feeling healthier and more relaxed should lead to higher-quality ideas, material and execution. My worst columns invariably come when I'm the most tired, hungry, angry, frustrated ... as I'm sure applies to most jobs in any walk of life. Being sharper should make my own work better.
If you suspect you've got symptoms, don't be dumb like me. Have it checked right away, or contact the American Diabetes Association.
HENNE EXPANDS PRESENCE
If you noticed some fun symmetry earlier this week with Henne Jewelers sponsoring Matt Gajtka's coverage from Toronto of Sidney Crosby and the Penguins donating a Stanley Cup ring to the Hall of Fame ... well, that actually was a coincidence.
What wasn't coincidental -- and was plenty welcome -- was our friends at Henne expanding their relationship with our site to include sponsoring our Penguins news coverage. You'll see their rather attractive ad accompanying any content in that category, and it'll take one tap or click to see the latest they're offering at their Shadyside store and online.
And on that note, more good news ...
[caption id="attachment_494509" align="aligncenter" width="700"] TAYLOR HAASE / DKPS[/caption]
HERTZ DRIVES BACK FOR MORE
This particular Drive carried our readers all through the past playoffs, right through Gajtka's June 11 analysis from Nashville, and we love the fact that we occasionally hear from readers referring to it as the 'Hertz feature.'
Mickey Keene at Hertz has been great to us from the outset, including assisting in some of our more ambitious car rentals, and it's very much appreciated.
CHRISTMAS GIFT SUBS ARRIVE
Here they are! Go buy some!
Oh, and there'll be much more to this process in coming days, including an original Chris Benson video, a new custom Christmas card by Rob Ullman and a new team photo we're taking around the office tree!
DOWNLOAD THE APP
If you're newly subscribed and haven't yet downloaded our app, we have an Apple and Android version, both free:
BACK TO BUSINESS
• Subscriptions are at 39,474. That's a net gain of 51 this week.
• We're at 353 in the Lifetime Lunatic category, with three sold this week. If you're interested in upgrading to any level at any time for any reason, click or tap My Account in the menu, then click or tap Upgrade Subscription.
• We're at 37,308 total active apps in devices. Of that, 27,742 are Apple, 9,562 are Android.
• On company social media, we're at 28,233 on Twitter, 26,989 on Facebook, 8,650 on Instagram. Taylor's asking for help: She wants us to get to 10,000 on Instagram because, once we reach that, she can use that platform to greater benefit.
• We had 107,757 downloads of our DK Sports Radio podcasts for the past 30 days, an average of 3,592 per day.
• We had 94,611 views on our original video content for the past four weeks, an average of 3,153 per day.
• Get our free newsletter with a simple signup! We send out an all-new one every Monday-Friday at 6:30 a.m.
• We make mistakes. If you see one, email Typos@DKPittsburghSports.com.
• Anything you need, including lost/forgotten passwords, email us: Help@DKPittsburghSports.com.
To continue reading, log into your account: