Below Deck is back!
After hearing from our readers, our weekly feature on the Pirates’ minor-league system will return Monday. Each week will bring an on-location interview by one of our reporters traveling to Indianapolis, Altoona or West Virginia, and it will include beat writer Lance Lysowski’s analysis covering all of the affiliates.
Dale Lolley has more on that below. I mention it here because we want to offer Below Deck as one of three new possibilities for potential sponsors on the site:
• Below Deck: Have your business’ name, advertising and link attached to the feature in all forms, including social media. This feature makes a great limited time, summer campaign. Minor-league baseball ends in early September.
• A new DK Sports Radio podcast: Dejan’s two-minute Daily Shot, sponsored by our longtime friends at Schneider Downs, had a record audience in the month of May with 72,154 total downloads. That included 18,154 in podcast form, 2,955 on our radio livestream, 5,827 on our site, 11,285 on Facebook, and 33,933 on our new Twitter embeds. All of those give Schneider Downs both an impression and an on-the-air live read. We would be happy to do this for your business, too.
• Duquesne and other colleges: We are proud to have our Pitt coverage supported by Bassi, Vreeland & Associates. That means so much. Pittsburgh is not a college town, as Dale and Dejan have been writing, so readership numbers will never be too high. Other revenue is needed to sustain the coverage. We are committed to covering Duquesne, and we would love to see a sponsorship come up here to help us do it right. We would also love to see that for Penn State, West Virginia and any other colleges in the region.
Here’s our full, updated Media Kit.
If you think your business might be a fit for any of these options, or if you have your own ideas, please contact me directly: Dali@DKPittsburghSports.com
BELOW DECK BACK ON
One of the things I’ve always enjoyed about baseball is checking out what’s going on in the minors. It’s one of the things that separates the sport from the NFL and even, to a certain degree, the NHL since there are so many more minor-league players. We all love to learn about the next great player coming up through the system or how last year’s draft picks are doing.
So one of the things I wanted to do when I took over as Editor in Chief here was to continue with the Below Deck feature. Taylor Haase did a great job with that during the hockey season, featuring players from Wilkes-Barre and Wheeling. I wanted to make sure we continued to do that with the Pirates’ farm system. But, to be frank, manpower issues made that difficult.
We’re going to do it now, though. Our look at the Pirates’ minor-league system is going to start up again next week. We hope you’ll like the addition. I know I will. — Lolley
SEARCH STILL ON
Three weeks ago in this space, we announced the search is on to add to our hockey coverage team. The response to the advertisements we have run has brought in a number of resumes and a ton of interest. I’ve read stories from sports writers, young and old, from all over the United States and Canada. We’re still sifting through applicants because we want to find the right person for the job.
Many thanks to our partners at Express Employment Professionals for assisting in this process.
If you know someone or have someone in mind, tell them to get their stuff to us. Anyone qualified and interested, email a full resume: Careers@DKPittsburghSports.com. — Lolley
GET AN AVATAR!
We’ve dramatically upgraded the comments platform, with a primary goal of offering more color, more fun to the atmosphere. If you want to add a video, photo or GIF, it’s now as simple as pasting a URL into your comment. It’ll show as soon as you publish the comment. Also, if you want to add an avatar — and you gray silhouettes know who you are — it’s as easy as clicking or tapping My Account in the menu, then Edit Profile, then uploading an image. — Dejan Kovacevic
Since we wrote about our newly structured military subscriptions program in Site Stuff two weeks ago, we’ve connected 34 veterans with gift subscriptions purchased by our readers, with 19 of those in the past five days alone. If you’ve served or are currently serving, claim your free one-year subscription here. If you’d like to buy a gift for a veteran — all active-duty subscriptions are always on us — buy one here.
BASH AT MOON GOLF CLUB
Mark your calendars for June 30, our annual summer bash this year will be at Moon Golf Club. You’ll enjoy the beautiful lush green spaces of the course, plus great food and drinks, sports talk and more. Our staff will be there in force. Let us know if you will, too. Taylor Haase has set up a Facebook event page where you can RSVP. — Dali Kovacevic
BACK TO BUSINESS
• Subscriptions are at 38,471. That’s minus-75 over the past week. We’re expecting that drop to continue in the next couple weeks, too, as a ton of new people signed up at this same time last year for Stanley Cup Final coverage.
• We’ve matched 31 military veterans with gift subscriptions in the first week of this program. See above for details.
• We had 357,132 page views, according to Google Analytics. This was our lowest week of 2018. Our most-hit article — exempting live files — was last week’s Friday Insider led by Dale Lolley’s James Conner item at 5,692.
• We’re at 28,992 (-2) page likes on Facebook, we’re at 28,502 (+16) followers on Twitter, we’re at 8,770 (+2) followers on Instagram, and we’re at 654 (+2) subscribers on YouTube. These figures are just for our official company account on each platform, not for us as individuals.
• Get our free newsletter with a simple signup! We send out a new one Monday-Friday at 7 a.m.
• We make mistakes. If you see one, email Typos@DKPittsburghSports.com.
• Anything you need, including lost/forgotten passwords, email us: Help@DKPittsburghSports.com.