LONDON -- We take a lot of pride in getting you the news as fast as it happens, and then digging into it for all the depth and originality you deserve from a subscription site.
That first part tends to be tougher, believe it or not, at least logistically. But we've come up with what we feel will be a seriously fun solution.
Effective immediately on both our Apple and Android apps, assuming you update to the latest versions -- those respective links are right here -- you'll find a little lightning bolt at the bottom right corner. That takes you to our new LIVE FEED, as it's called. That's where you'll find all the latest from our staff, whether that's brief news, a photo, a video, something silly, as well as a link to our latest content.
Want to hear all about a great catch Antonio Brown made at practice?
Well, that actually happened yesterday in Latrobe, and Dale Lolley had the description, and Matt Sunday had the photo ... boom, just like that!
Want to hear Mike Sullivan's choice at starting goalie?
Or Clint Hurdle's explanation for a lineup?
This will be the place. Right there at the tip of your thumb, tugging away and continuing to refresh the feed.
If you're looking for the feed on a desktop, laptop or mobile browser, it's right here, but it's not really ready for significant use. What we strongly recommend is using the app for this. The experience is aimed at the app, since that's where roughly three-quarters of our traffic is anyway.
Thanks to Alan Waldron at Aspinwall-based Build In Motion for his personal, passionate attention to this project.
Let us know what you think!
STEELERS SALE FARING WELL
From now until Aug. 15, the day the Steelers break camp in Latrobe, we're offering a half-off sale on annual subscriptions -- just $19.99 compared to the usual $39.99 -- for both new readers and as gift subscriptions. That's two ways for us to target new readers. Either they buy one themselves, or someone can give them one. We're confident enough in our coverage to believe we'll keep them for years to come at the regular price.
We've already sold 56 of these in the first seven days, which is well above the pace we'd expected in the early going. What's most encouraging is that these things always pick up as the deadline approaches. Two weeks still remain.
If you like what you read from our football coverage team, help us spread the word!
• If you'd like an avatar for your commenting profile -- those gray-shadow-men are the worst -- we've made that easier than ever. Just tap My Account and thumb down to the section inviting you to add your own image.
• When you're using our app on a landscape view (horizontal), then turn it back to portrait (vertical), you'll sometimes see our headline fonts get really big and messy. I hate that. We're working on that, too.
• We're also in the middle of a month-long project to overhaul our login/alerts process. It's a five-figure cost, but it's aimed at addressing our most common complaints, so it's worth it. Overhauling the alerts, we're told, will also eliminate the top causes of crashes on the Android app, which would be awesome.
ADVERTISE WITH US!
We're proud of our partnerships with Curtis Pharmacy, as well as PNC Bank, Allegheny Health Network, Point Park University, Schneider Downs, Hertz, GetGo, Henne Jewelers, Moon Golf Club, Miller Lite, Bassi Vreeland & Associates and Express Employment Professionals. If you or your business might be interested in becoming part of that family, here's my updated June Media Kit with all our vital information. Email me with any questions. -- Dali Kovacevic
NICE WEEK ON MILITARY
Our Veterans Gift Subscriptions pool moved up over the past week to a plus-7, so we're in good shape. (Thank you!) If you'd like to contribute, that can happen right here. Overall, we've connected 129 military veterans with free subscriptions since restructuring the program in May. Anyone who's served in our Armed Forces can request a subscription by filling out this form.
[caption id="attachment_660238" align="aligncenter" width="800"] ROB ULLMAN / DKPS[/caption]
BACK TO BUSINESS
• Subscriptions are at 37,910. That's minus-67 over the past week.
• We had 451,997 page views over the past week. Our most-hit article was my column on James Harrison at 8,658. Our most visited team pages were, in order: Pirates (32.9 percent), Penguins (28.8 percent), Steelers (24.8), Pitt (4.09), Penn State (2.64), Riverhounds (1.13), West Virginia (0.67), Robert Morris (0.30), Duquesne (0.27).
• We're at 29,179 (+2) page likes on Facebook, we're at 28,442 (+25) followers on Twitter, we're at 8,852 (+23) followers on Instagram, and we're at 672 (+1) subscribers on YouTube. These figures are just for our official company account on each platform, not for us as individuals.
• Get our free newsletter with a simple signup! We send out a new one Monday-Friday at 7 a.m.
• We make mistakes. If you see one, email Typos@DKPittsburghSports.com.
• Anything you need, including lost/forgotten passwords, email us: Help@DKPittsburghSports.com.
To continue reading, log into your account: