I don't get out much -- I work here, right? -- so when I have to hang out at a BBQ joint for work, I get excited.
We haven't done this in a while, a Miller Lite live Q&A on location, but here we go: This one's at Walter's Southern Kitchen in Lawrenceville, on October 9th from 7-9 P.M. Taylor Haase made a Facebook event to keep us organized. It's a new restaurant/bar, the menu looks amazing and 16 oz Lite drafts are three dollars that night! But don't join us for the food and beer, join us for the riveting conversation -- wink, wink. No, seriously -- Dejan Kovacevic, Cody Tucker, Chris Carter, Chris Bradford, Matt Sunday and Matt Grubba will be there to answer your questions, shake hands and give out Lunatic Bricks. It will be fun.
If you don't take your sports with food and beer, try the new show Late Night Tailgate, coming to the Byham Theater on Oct. 17. A live comedy and spirited sports discussion show. Our friends at the Pittsburgh Cultural Trust created the code DKFAN just for us. Click the image below to get tickets and save $5 with the code:
HOCKEY SEASON GIVEAWAY
We are giving away a special gift to anyone who buys a new one-year or three-year subscription. The brilliant 'Old Timey Hockey Tales' series of historical anecdotes from NHL history, created by our talented staff cartoonist, Rob Ullman.
No, we did not forget about existing subscribers. If you like the books, you can support Rob's work, support our site, and make a friend happy. That's three good deeds and you get a gift. Here is how:
• If you buy an annual gift subscription, you also get the third issue of 'Old-Timey Hockey Tales' with the special Hornqvist cover and free shipping!
• If you buy a three-year gift subscription, you get all three issues of 'Old-Timey Hockey Tales’, including the issue with the special Hornqvist cover and free shipping!
The books will be mailed directly to you, with zero charge for shipping. Make sure you enter your address.
[caption id="attachment_697023" align="aligncenter" width="640"] ROB ULLMAN / DKPS[/caption]
GET YOUR GEAR HERE
If you are looking for some new gear from your favorite teams, check out our partners, Fanatics. They sell everything under the sun and the shipping is free if you spend 29 dollars. Shopping with them kicks back a percentage of your sale to our site.
OK, I can't think of anything else I can sell you, so I'm out.
Hope to see you soon at Walter's!
Dejan, Matt Sunday and I had our own installment of Planes, Trains and Automobiles on our way to and from the Steelers' game in Tampa Bay last Monday.
In this case, though, it was planes, car rentals and Ubers.
Our flight was scheduled to leave Pittsburgh at 7:35 a.m. Monday, nearly 13 hours before the Steelers would play the Bucs at Raymond James Stadium.
And everything was going fine. We boarded at the normal time and were pleasantly sitting in our seats waiting for takeoff when the dreaded words came over the PA system, "Folks, we're going to have to ask you to deplane."
Turns out, the plane next to us -- which was headed to Los Angeles -- was experiencing an issue with its air conditioning. So we were taken off our perfectly good plane and forced to wait for a new one to come in while our plane headed to L.A.
Six hours later, we were finally in the air, too late for me to make the WDVE early pre-game show. I did, however, make an appearance on the Steelers Radio Network pregame show. We also just beat the heavy rains that pounded Raymond James Stadium about two hours before game time.
But when we left the stadium that night, we hopped in our rental car only to find that it had a flat tire -- at 2 a.m. and without a spare in sight. Yeah, that happened.
After grabbing an Uber back to our hotel to finish writing, it was time for a little sleep -- just about 24 hours after I had awoken the previous morning to catch my 7:35 a.m. flight that never happened.
There's nothing quite like a drive to Baltimore, Cincinnati or Cleveland. -- Dale Lolley
• Our new login/alert system is sort of in place. It's being tested by Build In Motion in the background but on real devices, and it'll eventually be done across the board. The aim of this fix is to have readers logging in less often, but it's also supposed to dramatically cut down on Android crashes. We're crossing fingers on both counts.
• There's a separate project also underway with an emphasis on faster page loads, particularly on the app. And by faster, we're hoping for two or three times faster, something really visible. This will take a little longer, but it'll be worth it.
• Can't stress this enough, but use the app. It's where we put almost all of our tech resources, it's got the best version of our Live Feed, and it's free:
SEEKING BUSINESS PARTNERS
Here is what we have available for sponsorships: (Some) Steelers, (some) Penguins, Pitt, Duquesne, Penn State, West Virginia, Buried Treasure, Carter's Classroom, Friday Insider, Stats 'N' At, Wilkes-Barre Watch, Wheeling Watch and the DK's Daily Shot podcast. This is our updated media kit for much more detail. If you're interested in connecting with our large, passionate following, email me at Dali@DKPittsburghSports.com. -- Dali Kovacevic
VETS POOL IN THE PLUS
Our Veterans Gift Subscriptions pool is at plus-2, following a Friday in which none were claimed or bought. If you'd like to contribute, that can happen right here. Overall, our readers have connected 186 military veterans with free subscriptions since the program was restructured in May. And, as ever, anyone who's served in our Armed Forces can request a subscription by filling out this form.
BACK TO BUSINESS
• Subscriptions are at 37,641. That's minus-53 over the past week.
• We had 575,043 page views over the past week. Our most-hit article was Dale's coverage of the Steelers listening to offers for Le'Veon Bell at 11,504. Our most visited team pages were, in order: Penguins (40.5 percent), Steelers (30.4) Pirates (14.5), Pitt (5.6), Penn State (2.4), and all the rest below 1.0.
• We're at 29,220 (+3) page likes on Facebook, we're at 28,750 (+56) followers on Twitter, and we're at 9,004 (+19) followers on Instagram. These figures are just for our official company account on each platform, not for us as individuals.
• Get our free newsletter with a simple signup! We send out a new one Monday-Friday at 7 a.m.
• We make mistakes. If you see one, email Typos@DKPittsburghSports.com.
• Anything you need, including lost/forgotten passwords, email us: Help@DKPittsburghSports.com.
To continue reading, log into your account: