Come on down and say hello!
Our next meetup with subscribers is Friday night -- meaning tonight -- at 7 p.m. at our Highmark Stadium offices. We'll have snacks, hoodies, Bricks, other fun stuff, and we'll plop around the three TVs catching some of the NHL Skills Competition, whatever. Nothing too heavy. It's basically just a chance for us to say thank you and to talk sports.
Our friends at PNC sponsor these meetups, including the ones we just had in Los Angeles, Phoenix and Las Vegas, and we're grateful for that.
• Daily dose of Java, in which we're all over the place:
• I'm taking time off the Grind to focus on non-writing business. I'll be back at it this weekend.
• Chris Bradford's in San Jose for the NHL's All-Star festivities. His file today is about the league suddenly being driven by young stars, and he's got some goods from local lad John Gibson, as well. Today, he'll be at Gary Bettman's press conference at 3:30 p.m., he'll speak with Sidney Crosby and Kris Letang after that, and he'll cover the Skills Competition at 8 p.m. All times are Eastern. The Penguins' next practice is Sunday, 4 p.m., in Cranberry. I've got that. Their next game is Monday against the Devils at PPG Paints Arena. All our hockey coverage can be found on our team page.
• Perrotto, Hunter Homistek and I will be at Saturday's PiratesFest at PNC Park. The management Q&A session, always the main attraction, is at 2 p.m. All our baseball coverage can be found on our team page.
• I'll appear this weekend on two WPXI-TV shows, '11 On The Ice' at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, and 'Subway Final Word' at 11:35 p.m. Sunday.
• As mentioned in Site Stuff over the weekend, we've got a goal of getting 1,000 new app installations in 2019 by the opening of the Major League Baseball season. We had 22 new installations yesterday. Current figure for the year: 325
• Our apps are working by far better than ever, so we're asking a favor: Whatever your feelings might be on the new, updated versions, please head over either to the App Store if you have Apple, or Google Play if you have Android, and give us the star-rating and review you feel we deserve now that stuff's been straightened out. Every little bit helps us on the app rankings. Thanks to the dozen or so who've already done this!
• I belatedly kept a promise to readers who'd asked for easy access to standings, statistics, schedules and rosters for the Steelers, Penguins and Pirates. Those are all up in the menu now on the desktop/laptop version. Just mouse over your favorite team, and you'll see those choices, as well as special sections for each team's prospects. I'm afraid the app and mobile would be above my pay grade and severely limited IT skills. Which is fine, because the goal on the app is much more ambitious.
• We recently achieved the goal of filling the Veterans Fund -- one-year gift subscriptions for vets worldwide -- all the way up to 500. We still need to match them all with veterans. We had one veteran request a free subscription yesterday -- Robert from the Army -- so we're now down to ONE to give out. If you know a vet who'd like one, that form is here.
• Our advertising kit has all the info to show why our business is right for your business!
MILLER LITE LIVE Qs AT 5
• Monday: Wheeling Watch, by Haase
• Tuesday: Cartoon Canon, by Ullman
• Wednesday: Stats 'N' At, by Golebiewski
• Thursday: Carter's Classroom, by Carter
• Friday: Friday Insider, by staff
• Weekend: Site Stuff, by staff
PNC STAFF LOCATOR MAP
Bradford's in San Jose for hockey, and Dale's in Florida for football:
OUR SOCIAL MEDIA
To continue reading, log into your account: