ARLINGTON, Texas -- Jose Osuna is headed to Triple-A Indianapolis. The infielder/outfielder has been on the IL with neck discomfort and has rehabbed with High-A Bradenton to this point.
In Bradenton, Osuna, 26, hit .200, notching one double and two RBI in five games. Last season, Osuna won Indy's 2018 Silver Slugger Award, hitting .321 with nine home runs, 26 doubles and 59 RBI. In addition to the Silver Slugger Award, Osuna was named the International League's Player of the Month in April.
That success has represented a theme throughout Osuna's Triple-A career, where he's hit .305 in 155 games. Osuna does have some Major League experience, appearing for the Pirates in his MLB debut April 18, 2017 against the Cardinals. In 338 Major League plate appearances, he's a .231/.263/.417 hitter, registering 10 home runs and 41 RBI.
Osuna joins a laundry list of injured Pirates this season, including:
• Starling Marte, center fielder, is on the 10-day IL with an abdominal wall contusion/bruised right quad. The Pirates say he is close to being “game ready.” He could be activated Tuesday.
• Chris Archer, right-hander, was placed on the 10-day IL today with right thumb inflammation. He is expected to resume throwing in a few days and is likely to be activated when eligible May 7.
•Corey Dickerson, outfielder, is on the 10-day IL with a strained right shoulder. He joined Triple-A Indianapolis Friday but did not begin a rehab assignment as expected because of tightness in his shoulder.
• Nick Burdi, relief pitcher, is on the 10-day IL with right elbow/biceps pain. He will get a second opinion Monday from Rangers team orthopedist Keith Meister in Arlington, Texas.
• LonnieChisenhall, outfielder, is on the 10-day IL with a broken right hand. His rehab assignment at Indianapolis was stopped today because of left calf tightness. He had gone 3-for-17 with four strikeouts in five games.
• Kevin Newman, infielder, is on the 10-day IL with a lacerated right ring finger. He is on a rehab assignment with Indianapolis and is 5-for-17 with a double, a walk and six strikeouts in four games.
• Jacob Stallings, catcher, is on the 10-day IL with a cervical neck strain. He began a rehab assignment Saturday with Indianapolis and is 2-for-6 with two home runs, a walk and two strikeouts.
• Erik Gonzalez, shortstop, is on the 60-day IL with a fractured right clavicle and had it repaired surgically Thursday. He will not return until at least mid-July.