Pirates Head Athletic Trainer Todd Tomczyk provided updates on Nick Burdi, Chris Archer, Jameson Taillon, Corey Dickerson and every other banged-up player on the team's roster at PNC Park before the game Wednesday afternoon.
Watch the full video, embedded below, but to get you started, here are the major takeaways:
• Burdi's injury is nerve-related. So it's good news on the front that there's no structural damage to his arm, but it remains to be seen how the nerve injury will heal. For now, Burdi will not need surgery. Listen to Tomczyk's full description on Burdi around 1:57 in the video below.
• Chris Archer threw Tuesday and "came out of it well." Tenatively, he's set for a batting practice simulation Friday in St. Louis. They will discuss next steps from there.
•Lonnie Chisenhall (calf strain) is "making progress" and "continuing his ground-based running progression."
•Erik Gonzalez (fractured clavicle) got his stitches removed this morning. He's cleared to begin a "gentle running progression." Everything is on schedule there.
•Corey Dickerson (shoulder) is being assessed for his overall range of motion and strength. Tomczyk said his situation is "very fluid."
• Jacob Stallings' rehab assignment in Triple-A Indianapolis is going as expected. He's playing nine innings and is set for a back-to-back.
• Edgar Santana and Chad Kuhl are progressing as expected. Their goal remains to "be competitive for spring training."
• Jameson Taillon received a second opinion earlier this week and confirmed the original diagnosis. He's still looking at four weeks of no throwing.
• Keone Kela is being "assessed and treated." His availability for Wednesday's game was "to be determined."