The Pirates, in concert with Major League Baseball's other 29 franchises, announced Tuesday that they have committed $1 million to help PNC Park employees affected by the delay to the start of the 2020 season.
In total, $30 million will be set aside league-wide to help workers who are about to be impacted by the global COVID-19 pandemic.
"We are doing everything possible to minimize the strain this situation will have on our employees and their families," Bob Nutting said in a press release. "This crisis has impacted every person, family and business throughout our community. Coming together in difficult times to support one another is what Pittsburgh is all about."
The Pirates announce the team has committed $1 million to help PNC Park employees affected by the delay to the start of the MLB season. pic.twitter.com/VCBDkNDQD4
"I am proud that our clubs came together so quickly and uniformly to support these individuals who provide so much to the game we love," commissioner Rob Manfred said in a press release.
The Pirates' home opener was originally scheduled for Apr. 2. On Monday, MLB announced they would follow the new guidelines recommended by the CDC, and that they would push the start of the regular season back until at least mid-May. However, since players will need a second spring training to get back into game shape, it is almost certain that the season will start later than that, possibly June or even July.
The MLB season was slated to start Mar. 25.
On Mar. 14, the Penguins' players and ownership announced they would cover the wages PPG Paints Arena workers would lose because of the suspension.
The Pirates' players discussed implementing a similar program to help PNC Park workers last week.
“We understand that this game affects much more than just us,” Jameson Taillon said in a conference call on Mar. 13.