Steelers

Polamalu on Hall postponement: ‘See you in 2021’

[get_snippet]

To continue reading, log into your account:

[theme-my-login show_title=0]
Former Steelers safety Troy Polamalu -- GETTY

With the news last week that the Pro Football Hall of Fame game and induction ceremony will be postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak, many wondered how this year's group of 20 inductees would react.

Most, including former Pitt and Bears star Jimbo Covert, seem OK with the decision.

Count former Steelers great Troy Polamalu, the only first-ballot inductee this year, among that group.

There are 20 new members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame who will be forced to wait their turn for induction for another year, including Polamalu, former Steelers head coach Bill Cowher and star safety Donnie Shell.

The Steelers had three members of this year's Centennial Class. Cowher and Shell were both voted into the Hall of Fame as part of the larger Centennial class, designated to help the NFL celebrate its 100th anniversary.

Hall of Fame president David Baker said that next year's induction class will include separate ceremonies for the centennial class and next year's induction class.

"We're going to extend the weekend," Baker said. "And we'll make everything a little bigger, a little bit longer, but it will be compressed into five or six days that we think will be one of the greatest gatherings in football, ever."

The Steelers were scheduled to play in the Hall of Fame game Aug. 6 against the Cowboys. That same pairing will be featured in the game next year.

To read more about Polamalu's life, see the five-part series that appeared here on DKPittsburghSports.com about the former Steelers star: Man of Troy

To continue reading, log into your account: