RALEIGH, N.C. -- Well, this weekly feature's got a history of sharing both the ups and downs of the business, and December's definitely been a downer so far.
Barring a literal Christmas miracle, we'll finish many miles short of our seasonal goal of selling 600 gift subscriptions, After nine more were sold Saturday, our total is at 155. And with just a couple days left ... yeah, no chance.
That said, we're grateful for every single one of those purchases -- the 36 three-year gift subscriptions, the 107 one-year gift subscriptions, plus three of those 'Ultimate' five-year subscriptions -- and we're really proud of our first-ever book that came with it, 'Cartoon Canon: An Illustrated History of Pittsburgh Sports,' and thrilled by the response so far from those holding it in their hands.
Like longtime reader Jim Meta:
— Jim Meta (@jim7962) December 21, 2018
Thank you so much to Jim and everyone who's bought one or more. We look forward to hearing from you about Rob's beautiful book, as well as the reaction from your gift recipients.
If you'd like to get one, it's available right here.
Our staff's gotten wholeheartedly behind the push to sell gift subscriptions, to the extreme that Christopher Carter and Chris Benson surprised us all late yesterday afternoon with this mini-masterpiece:
Man, we've got a good group here.
FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES
The majority of our revenue here has always always come right from the readers, meaning subscriptions. But that alone wouldn't come close to covering the cost of how we report on the Steelers, Penguins and Pirates year-round and everywhere they go.
That's where our business partners make it all happen.
We're grateful for PNC, Allegheny Health Network, StepOutside.org, GetGo Cafe+Market,Miller Lite, Hertz, Moon Golf Club, Point Park University and Express Employment Professionals, as well as our professional relationships with WPXI-TV, iHeartMedia, the Pittsburgh Penguins and Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC.
They're all a big, big part of what we do. Thank you to every single one of them.
ANOTHER ONE NEXT WEEK
In this very feature next Saturday, we'll be announcing another ... thing. As mentioned in last week's Site Stuff, all I can tell you for now is that, from the reader's perspective, we're confident this will result -- not right away but soon -- in enhancing your overall experience here many, many times over.
• We've insisted on having the new login/alert system in place by Christmas. We hope it happens.
• We've heard from a handful of readers lately saying they're having trouble getting videos to play on the app. That's new to us, and we can't replicate it here at all. But if it's happening to you, email us -- and please do this via email so we can communicate -- at Help@DKPittsburghSports.com. And if you do, be as specific as possible. Device, OS, etc. And thank you!
• We'll be changing the app buttons on the bottom row, as soon as the coming week. The five buttons will go like this, in order: Home, Steelers, Penguins, Pirates and the lightning-bolt Live Feed. The menu button will move to the top right, and we'd eliminate the Teams and Multimedia button. This will dovetail with our increased coverage of the three major-league teams.
• Can't stress this enough, but use the app. It's got the best version of our Live Feed, and it's free:
SEEKING BUSINESS PARTNERS
BACK TO BUSINESS
• Subscriptions are at 37,309. That's minus-33 over the past week.
• We had 622,749 page views over the past week. Our most-hit article -- exempting live files -- was Taylor Haase's coverage of Pascal Dupuis' remarks about the Penguins at 14,209. The Penguins accounted for 113,919 of our page views, the Steelers 113,199 -- crazy similarity, right? -- the Pirates 36,115, Pitt 12,498, and everything else below 1,000.
• We're at 29,312 (+24) page likes on Facebook, we're at 29,282 (+68) followers on Twitter, and we're at 9,174 (+51) followers on Instagram. These figures are just for our official company account on each platform, not for us as individuals.
• Get our free newsletter with a simple signup! We send out a new one Monday-Friday at 7 a.m.
• We make mistakes. If you see one, email Typos@DKPittsburghSports.com.
• Anything you need, including lost/forgotten passwords, email us: Help@DKPittsburghSports.com.
To continue reading, log into your account: